Sunday, March 31, 2013

when life messes spill into neat writing plans

well, this week was a complete mess.  i had a nice, neat plan to take thursday and friday off and spend quite a lot of hours working on finishing up my first draft of my dissertation proposal.  and then, our water heater exploded and i was off most of the week (tuesday through friday), but spent most of the days either working from home or dealing with contractors and insurance reps and basically 100% not being able to work on my proposal.  of course, i had a good chunk written already, as well as lots of notes, but it's still all very haphazard and in need of a lot of rewriting and polishing up.

in any case, i spent a good deal of yesterday afternoon and evening working on my proposal.  i had planned on it being about 25-30 pages, but it's already quite a bit longer and i don't even have my lit review section written yet!  i hope i'll be able to shorten it all down.  my thinking was that the research design section should really be the longest and most thorough, whereas the other sections will be expanded in the dissertation.  if my research design were 8-10 pages, this would leave about 5 (or less) pages each for the theoretical framework and intro/conclusions and about 10 (or less) pages for the lit review.  however, each section is currently just a few pages longer than these planned guidelines.  part of this could be that a good chunk of my already-written introduction contains a lot of material that could potentially fill a lit review.  anyway, i hope i can figure it out.  once i have everything written, i'll be able to edit out things that are redundant and move things that feel misplaced, i guess.

well, that's my news for now.  my original plan was to have a complete first draft done by april 1.  it looks like i might have to push that back, at least by a few days.  more to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment